We are a few weeks away from starting a new year so what better a time to a few mental health reminders!
- Learn ways to cope with negative thoughts: Negative thoughts can be insistent and loud. Learn to interrupt them. Don’t try to block them (that never works), but don’t let them take over. Try distracting yourself or comforting yourself, if you can’t solve the problem right away. You might want to try focusing on an issue in a more balanced way (e.g. – try looking at all sides of an issue rather than from just one point of view).
- Do one thing at a time: For example, when you are out for a walk or spending time with friends, turn off your cell phone and stop making that mental “to-do” list. Take in all the sights, sounds and smells you encounter.
- “Collect” positive emotional moments: Make it a point to recall times when you have experienced pleasure, comfort, tenderness, confidence, or other positive emotions.
- Do new things/challenge yourself: Challenging yourself can help to increase your motivation and to set personal goals.
- Share humor: Life often gets too serious, so when you hear or see something that makes you smile or laugh, share it with someone you know. A little humor can go a long way to keeping us mentally fit!
- Volunteer: Volunteering is called the “win-win” activity because helping others makes us feel good about ourselves. At the same time, it widens our social network, provides us with new learning experiences and can bring balance to our lives.